6.12.2011

Co$$, "Spaceman" music video

My man, Jeff Johnson put me on to West coast MC, Co$$... well, actually he didn't. I can't really remember how far back I've seen his name or heard his material but I know the standout project (IMO) that he was featured on was the Cook Classics mixtape, "The New Classics" (link featured on Vimby.com: http://nahright.com/news/2009/02/18/vimby-x-uponthingz-x-cook-classics-the-new-classics-mixtape-stream/).

I met Jeff on Facebook after commenting on a post by local radio personality Ms. Dia (WRFG 89.3) after a Boog Brown show here in Atlanta last fall. We been chatting back and forth about music ever since. Turns out he actually manages Co$$ and is a dope MC/producer, himself... ALSO used to live not far from where I grew up in MD. I almost begged him to manage me (as a producer) and Subwoofer Science but I figured I and my crew just need to grow more into ourselves. When the opportunity arises and the right person comes along to support our movement, then we'll get a manager.

Anywho... so Co$$ has been doing his thing for a while now; someone at LA Times thought very highly of him, he's worked with Blu (for those into underground hip hop lyricists, I don't have to say anything...) and a slew of dope LA-based producers, to name a few. He's got a few projects under his belt and is due to release a solo album titled, "Before I Awoke" this summer. Recently, in preparation for the album release, he dropped the "Sleepwalking" mixtape just to give people a taste of what to expect; dope lyrics, jazzy yet hard yet undeniably West Coast production yet not so gangsta that underground heads won't like yet not so underground that ppl that cater to the more commercial sound can't nod their head to, either. That's quite a call, right there but Co$$ manages to pull it off well. Definitely looking forward to "Before I Awoke" when it drops. Oh, and did I mention that someone at About.com named it as one of their Top 10 hip hop releases? That's definitely worth mentioning.

At any rate, to promote the new mixtape and add to the exposure/push that Co$$ is aiming at, he released the video for "Spaceman". Check it out:



Download Co$$'s, "Sleepwalking" mixtape:
http://www.prefixmag.com/media/coss/sleepwalking-mixtape/52768/

No comments:

Post a Comment