1.31.2011

New instrumental radio show in LA, "Soulection"

Sometime back in '09, I remember being on iTunes looking around for podcasts to download and bump to and fro my way to work. I think at the time, I was getting sick of hearing lyrics (like I also do from time to time) so I was on my FlyLo (Flying Lotus) stint; anything instrumental, Dilla/Madlib-esque, obviously sample chop-sui-ed, dope production. As I was looking around, I happened upon a podcast mixed by a guy name Joe Kay (I think he went by Joe Dilla; which I had a slight qualm about) called "IllVibes" along with a graphic designer named "96". After that first podcast that I downloaded, which I had in rotation for a couple weeks before I decided to download anymore, I got over my issue with his choice of names because the love was obviously there. His mixes are quick, he doesn't play most songs all the way thru so it's almost like a 90 min sampler of dope instrumentalists from the LA community and abroad, esp. worldwide. Production tastes vary from underground hip hop instrumentals of pretty well known songs to cosmic electronic production that can easily put you in a trance; stuff I love because I zone out quickly... LOL. This cat, Joe has introduced me to some of my favorite electronic producers to date; the likes of Afta1, eLan, Samiyam, PUDGE, the Klipm0de Krew and a rack of other dope producers. He was still in school at the time and creating the mixes became a little difficult to manage so he put it aside for a while, not to leave everyone hanging because he was also in the process of starting something much bigger. That bigger something came to fruition in the form of a regular show commercially broadcast over the LA airwaves on CalState Univ radio (KBeach) and posted online via mixcloud.com. If you're into beats, I mean, really into head-nodding beats, please check out my man Joe Kay's "Soulection" Radio show. Exceptionally innovative in nature will have your head on nod for days... will occasionally bounce from dope electronic instrumentals to house music from time to time but then come back again. He's only pushing the dopest beats on his mix. I might have a ways before I get mine placed on his show but I've def got something to shoot for.

Shouts to Joe Kay and persistence.


Check out Soulection Radio:
Web site: http://www.soulection.com
Podcast: http://www.mixcloud.com/soulection

No comments:

Post a Comment